Saturday 19 February 2011

Weekend off

Saturday evening, 19 Feb
I've been learning about Lake Kivu, which forms most of Rwanda's western border. It has no hippo or crocodile or even fish big enough for one to make a meal. The reason is a concentration of methane so high that once it's been harnessed there will be enough not only to meet Rwanda's power needs without importing diesel but also to export to neighbouring DRC.

That's in the future. For me now the main significance is that the water is safe and clean enough to swim in. In the 1940s several of the protestant missionary groups developed a simple retreat, with a brick and tile cottage for each of the denominations and an annual conference week. The bumpy drive doesn't do much for the papaya and avocados but it takes only an hour and a half from Kamembe, where I've been staying and working since Monday. Matt and Gayle (the English teachers from Oregon) have stayed here several times and invited me for the weekend.

The swimming place

Yesterday I went for my first swim and there was a kingfisher on the handrail of the steps down to the water. Today my companions were first a kite then an egret. I think I may have been hearing monkeys, but I didn't see any. Every now and then a canoe is paddled close to the shore: if there are several occupants they sing a mesmerising call and response. Matt complains that they do it at night when fishing, but last night the moon was full and no boats were out.

The cabin has solar powered lights in the living area but no means of charging my computer or camera batteries, so I'll stop now. Whether there is signal enough to send this post remains to be seen.


The view from my bedroom door

1 comment: