Saturday 10 November 2012

Looking back, looking forward

The final meeting to evaluate and celebrate Growing Together was held on Thursday. Rachel spoke of how successful my teaching had been, Antoine of how the families where I stayed have changed their eating habits, and Augustin of how the churches have benefitted from my work. But Sizeli said the nicest thing: We saw Elizabeth return after her first visit with the Friendly FolkDancers and we thought OK, the woman has come back. Then we began to realise what she could do.

Yesterday, Friday, I wanted to buy a couple of things. Antoine said he would drive me into town and he would also be helping the new Mennonite Central Committee volunteer buy a second hand car. In our time together I learned that Matt Gates from Pennsylvania is an agriculturalist, whose PhD programme was about agriculture for the developing world. He has worked in Senegal. He will be here for three years.

Is Matt the person I have been seeking? I am so glad I didn't miss him. He is not an AGLI volunteer. Ironically, there have been a lot of conversations in the last few days about how beneficial it could be to integrate the various programmes of Friends Peace House and other organs of the Friends Church here. My sense is that if an MCC volunteer is to visit 'my' groups, offer support, and take the work forward, then that is what needs to happen. Matt has the appropriate education, which I lack. He won't do what I would have gone on doing if my project continued. But his presence seems to me to be a GOOD THING.

This afternoon I spent a couple of hours handing over some of my teaching materials, discussing sources of information and answering Matt's questions. I am to make him a list of the groups I've worked with. Then how he follows up will be for him to decide.

,

No comments:

Post a Comment