Thursday 15 October 2009

Updates

I'm not going to list here all the typos quietly corrected, but to draw attention to a problem and some revisiting.

The problem, told to me by two correspondents, is that comments don't get posted. Margot in her comment today suggests that one just has to keep trying.

At the end of the 'Voices' piece I directed readers to and editorial in the New Times. Sorry - this was sloppy expression. The piece I meant is the main article on the leader page: 'Prof. Ghai' you missed a lot on Rwanda', by Arthur Asiimwe. The leader itself comments favourably on an extension to the ombudsman's powers and seems uncontroversial.

Since writing about coffee I've read a piece I had downloaded at home during my final rush of preparation, and printed to bring with me. From it I learn that during Belgian rule all farmers were obliged to plant coffee on 25% of their land. Unsurprisingly this bred lasting hostility to coffee, which is still perceived as the foreigners' drink in comparison with tea. (The Belgians also developed tea plantations, but not all over the country because the climate is not suitable everywhere.)

Further thoughts on plastic bottles: today I've been working with a group of women up near the north-eastern border. I was the first person to tell them it's not a good idea to burn plastic. They sometimes use plastic twists to light their charcoal braziers for everyday cooking, too. I recommended caution over burning if it was unavoidable, and returning to paper spills. They discussed making arrangements among themselves to store crushed bottles and get them taken away in bulk - there is no such rubbish collection in Byumba.

If you notice other errors or lack of clarity please tell me, either by posting a comment or by emailing if you know my address. I'd be glad, too, just to hear if you're following: I thrive on feedback and tend to wilt without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment