Tuesday 6 October 2009

Where the water bottles go




Today, Tuesday, I've been working with some of the non-teaching staff at CGFK (yes, that's the Friends school). The work went well and I'll write about it soon. First, though, a postscript to yesterday's question about the plastic bottles. This is a far corner of the school grounds, where we're about to prepare a sack for planting tomorrow. I thought I'd capture the compost heap, with its mixture of good compost and all kinds of other rubbish. Then I looked up and here's the answer to the bottle question. Humans instinctively sort things – behind the bottle collection is a cluster of rags, and the rubbish cum compost pit has a corner for paper.

I ask Nicodeme, my translator for the morning, what will happen to the bottles. They'll be burnt, he says, so as not to have to be buried. There's my topic for tomorrow morning then – rubbish.

PS I asked what the bottles were separated for. 'For people to use.' We discussed the hygiene implications of unboiled water in unsterilised bottles. We talked about not burning plastics. What, though, is the best solution?

No comments:

Post a Comment